Wednesday, June 22

Returning to Normal (somewhat)

Today, I begin to take my Imbruvica capsules, 2-240 mg once a day in the morning) along with my baby aspirin that was postponed due to surgery...  and, while that is not physically back to normal it is gradually moving in that direction.

Aside from the pain almost disappearing in my lower back, except when I adjust my position or walk...  which I believe is a result of the 12-15 inch incision I have on my lower back and not the trauma of the surgery itself on my bones.

Also odd is the fact that I can sleep on my back in relative comfort which one would think would not be so easy to do still this close the surgery but more importantly because of the incision itself.  My wife had hip replacement surgery and her scar was as long as mine and she could not sleep on the side of the scar until 6 months later and then not very long when she did.

Milestones yet to achieve:

Milestone 1 - two week appointment with surgeon after surgery which is almost going to be 3 weeks.

Milestone 2 - either a 4-6 week appointment with surgeon to release me to drive an automobile...  I would suspect a lot of that depends on the results of my 2/3 week appointment.

MIlestone 3 - a 3 month appointment with my surgeon to determine if physical therapy can begin...

After Milestone 3, I don't believe I see my surgeon again unless there is a problem.

Milestone 4 - this is not really an appointment but after 6 months, I should actually feel I am back to normal or should begin to be feeling I am back to normal...  with normal being about 95% or better.  I suppose either my therapist or I determine that.  If I don't feel 95%, then the normal part may take 12-18 months and sometimes 24 months.

CAVEAT:  my surgeon tells me that there is a small possibility that this fusion surgery will not help me at all or very little, although he doesn't think that will happen...  For that diagnosis, I will have to wait 3 months probably.

Meanwhile, after my first appointment with my surgeon,  I will be having dental surgery, meeting with my Onocolist and treatment (Opdivo and IVIG), and a CT scan the following month...  not because I stopped treatment for 3 weeks, but in the normal treatment cycle, it is time for me to have a CT, mainly because of my Melanoma.

A week after that, I will be fitted for a hearing air that I will wear for 30 days, to see if my hearing improves.  Hearing aids are not covered by my insurance, so if I decide I need them, then that expense will be $3,000 and probably a little more.

Growing older physically is no fun but after 14 years, I am kinda getting used to the impact it has had on my physical activities...  it is just something that all of us will go through, some journeys will be easier than others.

No comments:

Post a Comment