Thursday, June 30

After Having Back Surgery

It has been 3 weeks since I had my back surgery and 5 disks in my lower back were fused together...  my incision was 7 inches and there were 10 screws and two rods connected to those vertebrae...  the pain was there for a couple of days then it became manageable when I moved around and tried to sleep.

I started walking two weeks after the surgery and at the end of the week, which will be this Saturday, I will have worked myself up to 1 mile...  I walked with a cane then used a rail to balance my stride.  What I discovered that walking with a cane gave me a third leg and I was only using 60% of my body.  Without the cane, I was using 90+% of my body, making it a lot more difficult and put more stress on my body...

My success to get back to the way I was where I can walk normally, is for me to continue walking and continue increasing the distance for at least 12 weeks from the date of surgery...  this will take me into September...

If I am not walking correctly by then, the surgery was not 100% successful...

No comments:

Post a Comment