Friday, June 17

Nine Days Ater Surgery

If you recall this was not just any surgery but lumbar spinal fusion where my L2-3-4-5-S1 were joined with two screws in each level and a bar on either side.  Bone was taken from my right hip to start the fusion process at each level, and the incession, I believe based upon the patch I see in the mirror gives me the indication that my cut was about 12"-15" long.

Currently, I can say the following:

  • My appetite has returned
  • I have no problems sleeping
  • Regular bowel movement have returned
  • I have progressed from a walker to a cane to walking unassisted
  • I need no assistance getting in and out of bed
  • I need no assistance putting on clothes
  • I need no assistance using the bathroom
  • I walk about 10-15 minutes each day which includes mornings, afternoons, and early evenings
  • I cannot stand in one place too long
  • I can sit up or recline but have to alternate positions
  • I feel pressure in my lower back along with slight discomfort
  • I've gone from 12 hour pain pills to 24 hour pain pills but cannot really tell any difference 2-3 hours later
  • I have no problems sleeping on my sides but can only lay directly on my back for about 30-40 minutes.
  • My walking is not completely free form as my legs don't move with a full gait yet.
  • I have no patience watching any TV Series and after 2-3 episodes turn it off completely...  rather bored and annoyed
I have very little to desire to watch the news and no longer feel anger and resentment towards the progressives for pushing us green, allowing inflation to eat up our profits, and unleashing a tidal wave of illegal immigrants into our country...  I don't care if Biden is the worst President under which I have lived because none of this relative to the improvement of my back means anything at all to me.

MY wife keeps reminding me that the hospital orders were that I do nothing for the first couple of weeks, but did not elaborate on what nothing was...  so, as soon as I could get out of bed, I was out and going into the living to sit and do whatever...  whatever was not much as I recall and by mid-morning I was back in bed.  For the first 3 days, my wife would not let me in or out of the bed without her help regardless of the time...  that loyalty made me feel a little guilty about what I had allowed happen to me.

So far there is no depression or anxiety or a feeling of helplessness if you have read the writings of John Paul Satre...  but, there is a feeling of not being interested in doing anything but sitting around with a blank mind which is a lot harder to achieve than you might think.  Yet, I doubt that I am meditating.

My concerns:

  1. Did I move too quickly doing things?
  2. Did I push my body too quickly into movement?
  3. If so, will that slow down my recovery?
  4. When will my other interests return?

No comments:

Post a Comment