Monday, June 17

For Other Cancer Patients

 

Prior to age 60 and after outgrowing all normal childhood illnesses, I never had a reason to go see the doctor other than an annual physical and checkup.  I never even had a cold or the flu.


As a freshman in high school up until age 60, I lived an active life playing sports, lifting weights, swimming, walking, running and eating a healthy diet.  At age 40, I gave up smoking, drinking alcohol, and red meat, except for a cheeseburger once or twice a year.  I was never over-weight for my height and age.


However, that all changed at age 60, when I was diagnosed with lymphoma cancer and had a heart attack.  Four years later, I contracted melanoma that could have resulted as a byproduct of my lymphoma treatments.  Two years ago, I have five lower back disks fused because of spinal stenosis.


So...

for 15 years, I have had monthly infusions of cancer drugs, cancer removal surgery, and radiation all of which has been able to keep my cancer in check.


AM I LUCKY TO STILL BE LIVING?

I think so...  but I have an excellent Oncologist who is aware of the latest treatment and drugs.  Fifteen years of treatment has left me with a damaged thyroid, anemia, no immunity, daily nausea, and constant moderate to extreme fatigue.


My latest drugs are Opdivo for the Melanoma, Venclexta for the Lymphoma, and IVIG for the low immunity and anemia.


I continue to eat healthy, and I continue to stay as active as I can mowing the lawn, weed eating, trimming bushes, power washing house and deck and moving around if I find myself sitting in a chair for over two hours.   


If there is a drive to Myrtle Beach, SC for a vacation then I stop every two hours and walk around for about 10 minutes or so.


In addition to all of the above, I have managed to keep a POSITIVE ATTITUDE throughout all of this and have never felt sorry for myself because I am the only family member to have cancer, heart issues, and spinal stenosis.


This post is for others who may have cancer or have yet to begin the journey.  Stay on top of your illness, ask questions, do your own research, keep records, and talk to other cancer patients.  


My Siamese cat lost one of his eyes a few years back and has never let that slow him down either inside or outside of the house.  My Siamese cat is an inspiration to me and a constant reminder that I still have a lot of life to live.







No comments:

Post a Comment