Wednesday, June 26

Being Mindful of One's Health

 

A good friend of mine from high school that I have maintained a relationship with for 60 years, let me know that his wife had been put into the hospital.  Her doctor had put her in the hospital mainly for swollen legs but also wanted to perform a series of tests because of other symptoms she was experiencing.

After a few days, she was informed that she had cancer in her breast, cancer in her lungs, and cancer in her hip.  She had to undergo radiation in the hopes that the swelling in her legs would subside.  If all went well, she would be released at the end of her third week.

He and his wife and 75/76 respectively.

I have not been told yet what kind of cancer(s) it is or in what stage of development it is, but logic would dictate based upon her symptoms and length of stay in the hospital that the cancer(s) is a significant stage of development.

While he has yet to share his concerns, I am confident that he understands the seriousness of her condition.

Like so many other people, my friend's wife felt bad for many years but refused to get checked out by a physician for reasons that only she knows.  As a result, her cancer(s) was/were allowed to grow and prosper.

I have no idea what might be going through the mind of his wife but if it were me, I would be angry with myself for waiting so long before seeing a doctor.

As I understand it, there are many cancers and stages of cancer that medical science can still not effectively treat to save lives.  No doubt cures are on the way but right now they are not available.  There are also those cancers that grow so fast there is simply no need to even try and slow it down.

However, there are also many cancers that can be easily treated over time and new treatment regimens are constantly being approved by the FDA.

When my cancer was discovered, I had gone into my family physician for my annual checkup and was told that I had lost thirty pounds since I was last there 2-3 maybe 4 weeks ago for a cold.  That realization prompted more tests to be done and as a result, one or more of those tests yielded a result of cancer.

I immediately sought out the advice of an Oncologist and within weeks began treatment.  During my first 6 months of treatment, I sought out a second opinion which only confirmed the original diagnosis as well as the treatment I was taking.

For 16 years, I have undergone treatment for cancer and if I had not done something 16 years ago, the is a good possibility I would not be alive today.

I have no idea what is going to happen to the wife of my friend but from what I know so far, it does not look good.  I hope that medical science will be able to help her.

But more importantly, I hope my readers will take this posting seriously and watch over their own health more carefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment