Saturday, November 18

Donating Money to Charities

 Being retired, I probably watch more news now than when I was working while I am drinking my coffee in the mornings.  

The television commercials are constantly asking for money, like:

  • Tunnel to Towers
  • Disabled Vets
  • Jews in Russia
  • Children's Hospitals
are just a few that come to mind...  but then there are those non-profits that don't have commercials like:
  • Animal Shelters
  • Leukemia Foundation
  • Make A Wish
  • Fire Departments
  • Police Departments
  • Homeless People

But the asking does not stop there...
  • Local churches
  • Local schools
  • Girl Scouts
  • Mission Programs
  • Attended Colleges

I get a grant each year from the Leukemia Foundation to pay for my expensive Lymphoma medication...  Should I give my extra money to that organization?

Should I donate money for Cancer research in the hopes that a drug will be found to KILL MY TWO CANCERS?

Do you pick a non-profit that you are touched by and donate to them each year or should you spread your money around by donating to a different charity each year?

Is it better to help children with cancer or disabled Vets or a church mission group trying to convert Africans to Christianity?

And then there is YOURSELF...  as you get older, more stuff happens to you.  For me, it is a heart attack, lymphoma, melanoma, possible prostate cancer, a five-level disk fusion in the lower back, failing eyesight and hearing, and the real possibility that I may have to pay a nurse to take care of me and my wife.

Do I save my limited money for that eventuality?

The thing is...
  • I am not a billionaire
  • I am not a millionaire
  • I am not worth hundreds of thousands of dollars
  • I am in the lower middle class
  • I am a recipient of charity

What would you do???



No comments:

Post a Comment