Monday, March 28

On Being White


 My daddy was white...
My mother was white...
Both of their parents were white as were their grandparents...
I come from a long line of white people....
In fact, all my cousins, aunts, and uncles on both sides of the family were all white as well...
My parents taught me many things and provided me with many lessons around which I have based my life...  but, they never taught me to be ashamed or feel guilty that I was born white.
My parents were my first teachers and they gave me integrity, honesty, honor, ethics, moral correctness, to stand up for that in which you believe, and they gave me the courage to have faith.
They taught me how to achieve whatever it was that I wanted through my own ability, using my own hands to open the doors to my future.
I was born white, but I was not born wealthy or privileged.  I worked my way through college and then used the GI Bill as I was a Vietnam Veteran.  Whatever I got in life, I got on my own...  and, there were numerous years throughout my career that I have very little or next to nothing...
I was laid off or fired several times during my career and that does not happen to white people of privilege according to those who are not white...
I will die a contented and satisfied white man, with no regrets and no desire of wishing that I had done something differently.
If all works out, I will die just as I was born into this world - broke.


No comments:

Post a Comment