Sunday, March 27

From the Back Porch


What does it mean to be a Southerner?

Not an easy explanation, I'm afraid...  especially since some of you think being a Southerner is going back to the war between the states and saying you are a Confederate...  and, everyone knows that can't be true since that war ended in 1865, over 150 years ago...

So, if that ain't it...  then what is it?

Well...  for starters, one could say that if you were born in a Southern state then you are a Southerner...  but, what if you were born in a Northern state but live all of your life in a Southern state?

Are you a Northerner or a Southerner?

I have also been told that Southerners are more polite than Northerners and I suppose that is true based upon what I have experienced when visiting the North...  but, I have seen some Southerners who were rude as hell and they were born and raised in the South...   so that theory doesn't work...

Or, as they say down South...  that dog don't hunt.

Maybe it is the accent that makes Southerners a southerner...   However, I was born down here and lived down here all my life, in different southern states, but I don't have a typical southern accent.

So...  another dog that don't hunt.

It would appear that if you are living in the South that you are a southerner.  

If you are living in the north you are a northerner.

If you are living in the east, you are an easterner.

If you are living in the west, you are a westerner.

If you are living somewhere in the middle, then it would appear that you are just shit out of luck...

No comments:

Post a Comment