Saturday, March 26

Accidental Memories


U
  N

E
  X
    P
       R
          E
             S
               S
                 O ,

S'
  I
    L

V
  O
    U
      S

P
  L
    A
      I
        T.

It was only a couple of years ago, that my wife and I visit Europe and spent some time in Paris, France, and sat at one of these tables, enjoying our meal outside while we watched the locals and tourists walk by.

What was memorable for us (especially me) were all the typical and usual tourist sites that we visited, spending more time than necessary letting the traditional beauty of the city sink into our Southern and country (but not pure country) minds.  One of these items was the fact that there were very few public bathrooms there and you had to sit down at an outside cafe and order something if you wanted to use their facilities.

Needless to say, we did not drink as much liquid there as we would have consumed if we had stayed at home.

The French I learned in high school was all but gone by the time we got there so I could practice and my southern American accent did not do me any favors either...  so, we ended up pointing at things we wanted in the menu and hoped for the best when our food arrived.

We were never disappointed although sometimes we were uncertain as to what we were eating.  We had a translation app on our smartphones but never used it...  not sure why other than we really did not know that we had it until we returned home...  so, that must have been the reason...  lol.

Will we ever travel to Europe again?
That's a fair question and my answer is also fair...  I/we don't know for sure...
Covid has scared us away from all traveling except stateside.

Our state never had a lockdown during the last two years and said facemasks were optional, but a majority of the people wore them...  exercise their freedom of compliance, I suppose, and common sense.

Life in America and throughout the world has changed and I am not sure if we will ever return to a pre-covid normal...  my wife and I trust ourselves but we simply cannot trust everyone else...  and this has nothing to do with color, political ideologies, or religious/spiritual beliefs.


No comments:

Post a Comment