Thursday, March 24

My Biased Views


 I am always amazed by the number of people who consciously make the decision to drive their vehicles 10-15+ miles over the speed limit, regardless of the posted speed...

My first thoughts revolve around the notion that they are late for work...  but then that excuse only goes so far...  especially on the days when no one should be working.

My next thought revolves around the fact that these people just like to drive fast because it makes them feel good...  like some big shot...  because when they get where they are going they are not big shots at all...

But, the people that BUG me the most are the ones who drive these HUGE PICKUP TRUCKS and/or HUGH SUVs who think that the road belongs to them...  I have found that most of the HUGE SUV drivers are females (age doesn't seem to matter) and most of the HUGE PICKUP TRUCK drivers are under 6 feet in height and obviously have some sort of identity crisis.

When I was a teenager, I owned a 1967 Plymouth Barracuda convertible with a 383 and a custom-made 5 speed with a racing cam and fuel injectors.  I drove that BAD BOY flat out all the time, especially on the interstates driving back and forth to college between VA and NC.  But sometime between the ages of 25 and 30, I simply outgrew the need to drive fast.

Nowadays, I leave the house well before I have to in order to make sure that I am always 15 minutes early and that I have accounted for unexpected accidents or delays on the highway.  I always get there early, but then I never have to drive fast because I am late.   If early, I simply park wherever drink the coffee I brought with me while reading FOX NEWS on my smartphone.  

I have also discovered that if I drive the speed limit or a little faster, I get better gas mileage, and while that is not absolutely necessary it is still nice to know that I am being careful with my retirement monies.

As I drive, I watch all the foolish people passing me by like I am standing still and just smile and wish them all well...  except for the rude ones who drive right up to your ass-end as if demanding that you pull over whether there is room to pull over or not.  when this happens, I just look around and admire the landscape that I am passing wondering if I will see cows today or not...  Eventually, my tailgater gets pissed and passes me on the other side, and gives me the middle finger salute to which I nod politely and smile.

I really enjoy driving these days...





No comments:

Post a Comment