Monday, August 24

Hot Tub Aggravations

I purchased a Hot Springs (6 persons) Prodigy Hot Tub about 13 years ago and over the years have spent about $5,000 in repairs...  mainly pump(s) and motor (s) which is about $385 each year and $32 each month which relates to about a dollar a day...  plus, chemicals...   and, from the very beginning, I talked with other experienced hot tub owners who educated me in the fact that household bleach is all you need to use and the amount they recommended was 1 cup each week.

A container of bleach (121 ounces) is $4.23 and will last for 15 weeks, so 4 containers will last a year which is another $17/year in maintenance costs for a hot tub...  relatively inexpensive...

I use the hot tub for the most part 2-3 times a week, given the right set of conditions, throughout the entire year regardless of how hot or cold it might be.  However, I was sick for 6 weeks, so it was two months before I was able to us it again.  That has only happened once or twice during my 13 years of ownership.

HOWEVER,  if your hot tub water starts to turn green, then there are only 2 culprits.
Algae
Copper in the water

In either case, the only solution is LABOR INTENSIVE which is:

  • drain all the water out
  • scrub and scrub the insides with bleach
  • scrub and scrub the underside of the cover with bleach
  • clean the filters with a water/bleach solution
  • refill
Tonight, when I went down to the hot tub, I discovered my water was light green...

PISSER...

No comments:

Post a Comment