Tuesday, February 20

Colonoscopy

 I am having a colonoscopy today - my last one was three years ago and the one before that was either 3 or 5 years, I cannot remember.  Last time, the doctor indicated that my results were so good that he did not think I needed another one for either 5-10 years out.  I disagreed with him and requested that I have one every 3 years because of my history of cancer.  He agreed.


While many people have no desire to have a colonoscopy, I don't mind even though the preparation that one has to go through is unpleasant.  If I have colon cancer or something else, I want to make sure that I find it as soon as possible so that it can be treated.


I am not the kind of person that thinks he can treat cancer with herbs and remedies from nature, sometimes referred to as natural medicines.  I suppose that natural medicines might work, if you incorporate them into your lifestyle at an early age, like the Chinese, Japanese, Native Americans, and other do, but AMERICANS on the whole do not want to live like that.


So far, I have been lucky with my two cancers and have managed to stay alive for over 15 years since first diagnosed.  Some cancers are treated and go away.  My cancers will never go away, so I will have to endure treatments for the rest of my life.


At 76 years of age, I doubt that will be too much longer but one never knows.  I would like to live another twenty years and outlive my mother who died just before her 96 birthday.


So, I encourage you to eat healthy and exercise and do not put off being checked out by the doctor.  Death does not care if you have been macho...



No comments:

Post a Comment