Monday, February 19

Eating Healthy

 In 1987, when I was 40 years old, I gave up smoking cigarettes (cold turkey) after smoking 1-2 packs each day for over 20 years.


It was not an easy task because I had tried twice before and failed.


I addition to cigarettes, I gave up red meat, fried foods, and sugars.  It was not that easy because I really loved a cheeseburger and French fries. However, after several years, I would allow myself a cheeseburger and fries once or twice a year, and each time I ate one, it did not taste that good.


I switched from beef to turkey burgers and while the taste was not all that great, after several years I learned to enjoy the taste.  I also switched to eating chicken, turkey, all sorts of veges and a variety of different kinds of beans.  To this day, I do not like eggplant or Brussel sprouts.


My consumption of soft drinks is limited to caffeine-free diet Pepsi, Root Beer, and Dr. Pepper.  My coffee intact is also caffeine free and it watered down.  My water comes from flavored SAM's water.


Rice and Noodles are also part of my diet but I do not consume great amounts.  As far as the rice is concerned, I use Basmati and only cook 1/4 of dried rice to support my meals.  My extra thin spaghetti noodles are bundled no bigger than the diameter of a quarter.


Salads are seldom incorporated in my diet but when they are, I usually eat a chef salad or a grilled chicken salad.


I count my calories and attempt to eat between 1600 and 1800 a day.  If and when I exceed 2000, I usually eat light the next day, so the average of two days falls in between 1600 and 1800.   Over the last year, my weight has decreased from 260 to 215.


When I break my diet, and outside of a hamburger or a pizza, I will eat lasagna, spaghetti, a slice of apple pie, or a piece of strawberry cheesecake, or a cake doughnut.  I also like captain's crackers and lemon Oreos.


My total cholesterol level both good and bad is 70... so, I must be doing something right.

No comments:

Post a Comment