Friday, July 7

Why Go To College???

This post might sound a little unusual coming from a person who has a BA degree and a master's degree, but I question why I went to college, other than my degrees opened doors even though I used about 10% of my education.  I also spent several years teaching on the college level business courses and instead of going over exactly what was in the textbook, I taught them what they really needed to know that they would actually use.


My father was a handyman with a college degree and could fix ANYTHING around the house from plumbing, electrical, carpentry, masonry, and had a technical mind as well.  He was good at reading and understanding the confusing directions.  HE TAUGHT ME NOTHING!!!  So, about the only thing I can do is change a light bulb.  LOL


So, if I had it to do over again, I would want to know about the TRADES rather than paying someone to fix my house.

My 6 years of college was paid for by the GI bill because I was a Vietnam Veteran.  I doubt very seriously if I would pay $20,000 to $40,000 a year for a college education.  It ain't worth it knowing what I know and I damn sure would not borrow the money from the government.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a career in the military.  BUT, you have to be careful which branch of the military you want to join.  I would NEVER encourage anyone to join the Army or the Marines unless you have a death wish.  The Navy is not bad but you have to spend 6 months at sea every four years.  Unless you like being away from your family, stay away from the Navy.

The branch therefore to join is the AIR FORCE.  There are plenty of oustanding jobs in the Air Force that after 20 years of service, you can use the training for a civilian job and have TWO - TWENTY YEAR CAREERS...

NO COLLEGE DEBT...
COMPLETE HEALTHCARE...
PROVIDE MILITARY HOUSING...



No comments:

Post a Comment