Saturday, July 22

Living with Cancer

 I have been living with cancer since 2007/2008 when I was diagnosed with non-Hodgkins B Cell Lymphoma.  Five years later, my treatments caused me to be diagnosed with Melanoma.


How to treat TWO CANCERS?


A dilemma for my oncologist as the melanoma was more deadly than the lymphoma.   The melanoma was removed from my foot and when it returned 5 years later, it traveled from my foot to my groin to my neck where it was removed and found to be dead due to the treatment of Opdivo and Radiation.


I continue to get treated for two cancers with monthly infusions and daily pills.  And, while my melanoma has not reappeared but my small B cell lymphoma may have transformed itself into Large B cell lymphoma which typically results in a more aggressive treatment protocol.


This new protocol, if and when it is adopted, will infusion powerful toxins into my body, some of which I have already experienced during the early years of my treatment.  These infusions are wicked and have serious side effects like nausea, vomiting, fatigue, loss of appetite, loss of hair, loss of immunity, and anemia.


Some of these side effects I am currently experiencing due to 15 years of treatments.  However, long term side effects are typically somewhat milder than chemo induced side effects which is something that I am not looking forward to.


One approach to take is to start consuming my nausea meds as soon as treatments end rather than waiting to feel sick.  While there is no guarantees this will work, it will lessen the intensity of the nausea and vomiting.


Chemo treatments come with steroids and the last time I was infused with steroids, I gained 30 to 40 pounds over ten years.  Ironically, I just lost those 30-40 pounds which took me a little over 2 years to accomplish.


I will keep you informed of my progress...

No comments:

Post a Comment