Sunday, July 30

Early Impressions of Being Alone

 






Above, you have the opportunity to listen to I AM A ROCK by Simon and Garfunkel...  released in 1966...  the same year that I graduated from high school and entered college in North Carolina.

My parents were living overseas with my younger brother and my sister was in college and not really near enough to visit as were my parents relatives.  For all intents and purposes, I was by myself, and without a vehicle.  As a result of an administrative screw up, I had no roommate with whom to establish a friendship.

Feeling alone and lonely, the lyrics of the I am a Rock song resonated with me because in order for me to protect myself, I too had to put up walls.  

I remember after going to class, I would return to my dorm room and spend the rest of the day inside that small room rather than venture around campus by myself.

In high school, I was never alone.  There was always someone around to hang out with.

I did not try and talk with anyone and no one tried to talk with me.  It was like everyone was an unfriendly stranger to me.

As time passed, I did meet people and make friends with several of the people I met which made my life more bearable...  but, the time spent alone will never be forgotten and as a result still impacts my behavior to some degree.

Now that I am retired, I really enjoy my time alone and prefer being alone than being with people making superficial conversation.  

It is odd how I have come full circle.


No comments:

Post a Comment