Wednesday, September 22

Working Remotely Tips

After working office jobs that required long commutes and stringent 9-to-5 work schedules, I woke up and decided it wasn't how I wanted to spend the next 50 years of my life.

I love office camaraderie as much as anyone, but an over one-hour commute before and after a more than eight-hour workday leaves little time for fun, and the belief that a workday has to fall between certain hours feels super outdated to me.

So, I joined the remote work world in 2015 — transitioning from freelancing to a full-time work-from-home job and back again.

Of the six years I've been working remotely, three have been as a freelancer, and three have been as a full-time employee at a fully remote company. While there are definite differences between the two, they both offer MUCH more flexibility than a traditional office job.

But I would be lying if I said working remotely was always easy. Here's what I wish I knew in the beginning:

1. Don't be afraid to ask if you can alter your working hours to make time for things that are important to you.
This one depends on your boss and company, but chances are, if you consistently show up, put in your time, and get your work done, they'll be flexible with you.

If you're training for a half marathon, ask if you can shift your hours from 9-to-5 to 10-to-6 so you can get in a long, early morning run. Or if there's a boxing class every Thursday evening at 5 p.m., ask if you can start your workday an hour early so you can cut out early every Thursday.  

No comments:

Post a Comment