Wednesday, March 27

Lack of Time

As an adolescent, a teenager, and a young man in my 20s and 30s, I had no concept or concern (might be a better word) with or about time.  If I noticed anything at all, it seemed like good days went by quickly and bad days went by slowly - even though the length of time for both days remained the same.


During my 40s, 50s, and 60s, there was an awareness of time as all days whether good or bad seemed to pass by quickly.  Although, I never thought about the end of time in a cosmic sense nor the end of time in an individual sense.  I just lived my life as best I could with the time I had each day, oftentimes wishing the days were longer so that I could have more time to get my stuff done.


When I retired at the age of 67 (2015), time became an issue of relative importance because I soon grasped the concept that there was not that much time left, especially with the understanding that it (time) was moving faster than anticipated.


I joked that I never had a bad day because each day went by so quickly.


Around the time of my retirement, I began to notice either on my side or my wife's side, that our friends were beginning to die rather unexpectedly or so we thought.  Some of them had been battling diseases for years and finally lost the battle.  Others died from accidents and other died of fast moving diseases, lasting no longer than 6 months after diagnosis.


My wife and I began to focus on our own lives and our life together, enjoying as much as we could when and as we could, not worrying about the various diseases that were inside our bodies.  Our attitudes became positive and resolute and our actions direct and positive.


Now, we are both in our 70s and know that our time is limited to 20/25 years or less - the 5 year difference is in our actual age of 76 and 71.  And while 20 years seems like a lot, it too will pass by quickly and unnoticed as each year has done in the past.


WE ONLY HAVE TODAY...

No comments:

Post a Comment