Tuesday, March 26

Home Cooking

When my wife and I retired in 2015, she said she was no longer cooking except for a meal at Thanksgiving, Christmas, and one or two other special situations.  


She has maintained that position and I have supported her.  She sometimes cooks for herself or eats purchased salads or microwave meals.  We go out to eat once a week and she might bring home part of her meal and eat it the next day.


This has really left me cooking for myself which I do not find to be a problem since I support her desire not to cook.


I am not a cook, nor I make the claim to be a chef since most of the stuff I prepare, very few others would like my choices.  My meals are a combination of things and I hardly ever follow a recipe.  However, I always use extra virgin olive oil, pepper, sea salt, garlic, onions, and bell peppers.


My types of preparations include:  spaghetti sauce, lasagna, cakes, pies, casseroles, breads, fish, soups, and other dishes.  Other dishes might include:  rice, beans, veges, and some sort of meat like chicken, sausage, or vege burgers.  My soups are typically thick and include: veges, meats, broth, milk, potatoes, and cheese.  Sometimes, I will use a submersible blender to make everything smooth and creamy.


My breakfast meals are mostly simplistic but once in a while, I want to fry, onions, bell peppers, sausage, and combine scrambled eggs, creamy grits and top with Colby jack cheese.


I don't mind cooking but I hate cleaning all the dishes so I try whenever possible to cook everything in one pot or pan.


Next week, I plan to prepare, cook, and eat an oatmeal-raisin-apple cake.  For the most part, I will be following a recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment