Sunday, May 21

Just Wondering

Who are You?

What an interesting question to answer...

Speaking for myself, I am:

  1. retired
  2. a senior citizen
  3. married
  4. divorced
  5. a father
  6. a brother
  7. a son
  8. a parent
  9. a husband
  10. a veteran
  11. a cancer survivor
  12. a heart attack survivor
  13. survived a 5 disk lower back fusion
  14. a scorpion by birth
  15. an INTJ
  16. a college graduate
  17. a teacher
  18. a professor
  19. an administrator
  20. a dean
  21. a homeowner
  22. a Christian
  23. a southerner
  24. a Tarheel
  25. a writer
  26. a poet
  27. an American
  28. debt free
  29. a coffee drinker
  30. a non-smoker

I am sure that there are other items I could add to this list, but 30 is enough to make my point about who I am.

What do you know?
Another interesting question and all I can do is answer it from my point of view.
I could say that I don't know what I don't know, or I could say I do know what I don't know which is not in the list of what I know.

But, to make a list of all the things I know or don't know would take a lot longer that listing out who I am...  why?  

It is a more difficult question to answer first of all because knowing something is not the same as understanding that knowledge, nor is it the same as retaining that knowledge.

For example:
I know calculus math but I don't understand the math, nor do I remember much of what I learned.  So, can I really say that I know calculus?

The same holds true for the languages of:  French, Spanish, and Arabic.  I have classes, so I know the languages, but my retention level is very, very low.  So, can I really say that I know these languages?

I know the difference between black and white but I do not know how each color is created.

I know the difference between day and night, but I cannot tell you when the actual transition takes place as the rising and setting of the sun is gradual.  However, night is without sunlight and day is with sunlight.

I know that I am a male and not a female.
I know that I am white and not black.
I know how old I am and I know how tall I am and how much I weigh (at least the last time I weighed myself).
I know of chemistry, but I don't know chemistry.

  1. Understanding what you know or don't know is not that easy of a task to complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment