Sunday, April 7

New Drugs

 
Imbruvica, Calquence, and Brukinsa are three immunotherapy pills that I had been prescribed by my Oncologist to slow down the progression of my lymphoma.  Each of the pills averaged about $12-$15,000 per month and my copay was $1,000 per month.  However, I managed to get a grant from the Leukemia Foundation to pay for my out-of-pocket costs.


All in all, I took these pills over a three year period of time and at first the pills worked half way through the three years the Lymphoma started to grow aggressively and the pills no longer worked.


My Oncologist has now prescribed Venclexta which is in another family of immunotherapy drugs and is much more powerful which is what one hates to see happen.


There are several more types of treatments that can be used but eventually these options will point to a stem cell transplant if they continue not to work.  A stem cell transplant is not only expensive, but it is a very uncomfortable procedure to endure and requires staying in the hospital to 30-60 days.


Venclexta's price per month is about the same as the other pills I have been taking.


What is interesting here is that if Venclexta could be taken via an IV, there would no copayments.  For some reason, the copayments are assessed when one is taking pills.  Taking pills might be convenience but sometimes out-of-pocket expense are more inconvenient that having infusions.


My pills will be taken as follows:

  • 20mg first week
  • 50mg second week
  • 100mg third week
  • 200mg fourth week
  • 400mg fifth week

I top out of 400mg and each new week, I have to visit with my Oncologist Monday/Tuesday to make sure my blood work is ok.  The first week, the FDA required that I stay in the hospital overnight.

Strangely too, my melanoma cancer which is far worse than lymphoma has shown minimal growth if any at all for over five years.

However, I will continue to take drugs for both of them for the rest of my life.

Venclexta has caused my anemia to worsen, my platelet count to worsen, and while my white blood count has skyrocketed, the Oncologist is hopeful that it will come back down to normal over the next several weeks.

Other side effects that are hard to live with right now is increased fatigue and melancholy and increase nausea.  I have pills for the nausea but there are no pills for fatigue.

No comments:

Post a Comment