Wednesday, October 16

Cooking for Myself

 

When my wife and I retired in 2015, I was informed that she was no longer cooking and if I wanted anything to eat that I was going to have to cook it myself.  While I was fine with that, my wife still cooks for herself and wants to cook the meals at Thanksgiving and Christmas.


I am not a great cook but every once in a while, I end up cooking something that is really good.  I guess those odds are still in play.  Most of my cooking is simple and is suitable for me to eat, although, I have been known to thrown away a couple of dishes that were SIMPLY HORRIBLE.


I have prepared and cooked:

  • lasagna
  • spaghetti
  • casseroles
  • cakes
  • pies
  • breads
  • pizza
  • chili
  • soups of all sorts
  • stews of all sorts
  • stir fries of all sorts
  • quiches
  • one pot meals

Most of the time, I do not follow the recipe and that is when I eat whatever I make even if it is not that good.

I don't really cook steaks or any kind of red meat but every so often, we purchase something from Omaha Steaks during one of their sales and I cook their ribeye's.  However, I slice the meat up into thin slices that I usually cook with broccoli and rice

Most of the time, I cook chicken, turkey, pork chops, and fish.  My fish selection is usually Salmon, tuna fish, flounder, grouper, and white fish.

Vegetables and beans are used a lot either separate or together and I have come to realize that I SHOULD NOT combine more than two beans at one time.

I try to incorporate onion, bell peppers, garlic, celery, leeks, green onions, carrots, and potatoes as often as I can.

The easiest way to make soup, a thick kind of soup is preferred, is to cook whatever I want to include, then use a submersible blender.  Blending everything creates a nice thick texture that I like.

Oftentimes, I get tired of cooking and cleaning and opt out for a TV dinner, which is fast and dependable and no cleanup, other than throw the plastic container away.


No comments:

Post a Comment